pppd.tdb file format
Charles Price
2005-07-07 17:12:36 UTC

I am trying to read the pppd.tdb file created by pppd-2.4.2 but it's format
is not supported by the official tdb package. Has anyone written anything
to make sense of it.

'strings /var/run/pppd.tdb' is a little too messy for my liking.

Regards,

Charlie Price
James Carlson
2005-07-11 12:11:50 UTC
Post by Charles Price
I am trying to read the pppd.tdb file created by pppd-2.4.2 but it's format
is not supported by the official tdb package. Has anyone written anything
to make sense of it.
Could you please explain in more detail what you're trying to do?

That file is an implementation detail inside pppd's MP (multilink)
support. Nothing should be "making sense" of it, because the format
and usage of the file could change at any time without warning. It's
not documented. Any application outside of the ppp-2.4 package
written to use it may end up being rather brittle.

You could look at pppd/multilink.c and pppd/tdb.c to find out how to
read it ... but it'd be better to explain what you're trying to do and
find out if there are perhaps better ways to accomplish it.

(Perhaps pppstats needs some new features ... ?)
--
James Carlson, KISS Network <***@sun.com>
Ray Van Dolson
2005-08-01 05:26:49 UTC
Charlie, this probably won't help you out _too_ much, but I've
successfully written a parser for the pppd2.tdb file produced by
ppp-2.4.3 using Perl and TDB_File.

Never took a stab at the old format.